Water is an essential part of our lives but it can also be destructive in many ways. It can be destructive to structures as well as humans. In the case of structure, water can be in the form of moisture and can seep inside deformities. This can easily cause long-term damages which will be detrimental to both structure and humans.
What can be done about Water Damage?
Table of Contents
No matter what the category of water damage is, it should be immediately taken care of. For this, we need to mitigate the damage done by the water source as much as we can. To minimize the damage done, the restoration of the water source should start in the first 24-48 hours to lower the risk of any long-term damage or bacteria build-up. We have to make sure we decontaminate, dry and fix any damage to the water source. For this, we have to resort to water damage mitigation
Water Damage Restoration is best left to professionals
It is very easy to overlook the consequences of damage caused to the structures and humans by water. We have to understand that the consequences of ignoring damages caused by water can be detrimental. It can lead to the loss of human life and money. It should be also looked into that these damages be avoided beforehand. There are also safety factors involved when it comes to dealing with any damages and as it is in the case of hazards – it is always best when it’s left to the professionals to fix. For the safety of human lives, it is important that the professionals maintain a certain standard while working.
Here at Servmold of Dallas, we ensure the maximum safety of the employees as well as our clients. Employees here are trained very well in any repairs and restoration. Once we get to know your problem we’ll solve it in no time and we do it efficiently. Water Damage can cause a lot of problems in the daily routine and flow of your work or your house and it is our duty that we work as quickly and efficiently as possible to ensure that your life gets back to normal in no time.
Now that you are exposed to what water damage mitigation is and how you can prevent water damage, you know what the next step to do is. Here at Servmold of Dallas, we specialize in mold removal and water damage restoration in Dallas. We are here to help you, to make sure you have a safe and sound environment at work or home!
In structures water can damage in certain ways:
- Rusting – Rusting can make the foundations of the structure weak
- Cracks – Water can seep in through cracks. If this accumulates over time it can cause a lot of pressure build-up which can be harmful.
- Water Absorption – Some structures can absorb large quantities of water and can have damages that can’t be easily fixed because of the moisture.
In the case of humans – The Institute of International Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) has set standards and classified the damage into 3 main categories
- Category 1: Water damage doesn’t pose any threat to human beings but has other structural problems like a burst pipe, burst, or overflowing pipe.
- Category 2: This is the category where alarms are raised because the water starts to affect humans by causing sickness and irritations to humans. There is a small level of contamination from burst pipes or ruptures from a nearby storage tank or sewer pipes.
- Category 3: In this category, there needs to be an immediate response to the situation as the water is contaminated with deadly pathogens and toxins that can cause severe complications to humans as well as structures.
What is Water Damage Mitigation and why should we do it?
Irrespective of the seriousness of the problem, be it a small pipe leak or slightly contaminated water, we have to find and mitigate any threat it carries to the structure or humans. It’s not just about fixing a small burst pipe or drying the area of damage, but it’s about mitigating any future possibilities of such events. It’s about making sure that the small pipe break or leak in the structure or a water source doesn’t aggravate the issue. Water Damage Mitigation involves thoroughly inspecting the site of damage and making sure there are no other damages involved.
After identifying the problem it is about finding the degree of contamination, broken sewer pipes, cracks, fungal growth and moisture in the structure. In any structure, there should also be an extensive search for any sources of humidity. These sources can amplify any damage that is already occurring in the structure. So the bottom line is that water damage is truly troublesome because of its effect on structures and humans and its ability to disrupt the flow of a place. That is why it needs immediate attention too. After identifying the core issues it is about how to start the repairs and restoration of the given structure. So the logical next step is to start the work on Restoration.
What happens in Water Damage restoration and repair?
Water Damage Restoration is the process of repairing any damages caused by/to the water source immediately and as efficiently as possible. It is important because we need to get back to normal standards of living. Restoration involves removal of contaminated water, replacing and repairing burst pipes or sewer lines, removal of water and moisture from porous surfaces, removal of infections from the source of water and surface, replacing the water contaminated structure with better water-resistant material and using preventive measures such as water-resistant coating, using moisture repelling material while making structures and fixing any points of leaks with stronger material. All these things are essential and need to be done as soon as possible, or else it will result in further contamination and permanent damage to the structures.
How to prevent Water Damage in your home?
To avoid any damage after restoration, Water damage mitigation rules need to be followed thoroughly.
Water damage prevention can be done in many ways.
- Maintaining water sources – It’s of the utmost importance that if you are dependent on a source of water, you have to maintain it frequently. Ensuring that there are no other pipes/storages carrying harmful chemicals, toxins and pathogens
- Supervising the medium – Pipes carrying water should also be well maintained. It should be looked upon that they don’t have any rust coating, abrasions, leaks, or any sort of fungal infection. The area surrounding the pipes should also be clean
- Look for blotting – Always be on the lookout for any blottings or patches of water on the surface of the structure. Regularly remove your furniture/equipment and check for any such patches of water.
- Dry anything affected – If any of your equipment or furniture has been affected, make sure you dry them well and fix any problems before placing them back again.
- Dehumidify your surroundings – You have to make sure that the surroundings are not humid. There should be a constant flow of air without any clogging. Always make sure there is no moisture in the room. If the moisture content is high there is a chance of the development of mold or other common fungi.
We can also look into common equipment that can mitigate any risk of water damage
- Air Movers/Exhausts – This equipment can keep a steady flow of air. Any rancid air that is present leaves the surroundings and it also helps keep the place dry. It is always an important deal to ensure the steady flow of air in your place.
- Dehumidifiers – These machines can help with maintaining humidity levels in your place and remove any excess moisture that is present in the air. This will prevent the formation of fungus and will not damage any surface.
- Air Purifiers – Air Purifiers will help with any smell that is caused due to water damage and will remove any airborne particles which can cause any form of infection.
How do you stop mold in your house?
Mold is a very common fungus that builds up in the damp places of your house. Having mold in your home is not a good sign. It can cause health-related issues and can make you sick if you have allergies or asthma, but not all molds are dangerous. You would be surprised to know that to prevent mold you have a very small window of a few hours before it becomes a nuisance. To prevent mold you have to have a fast response from a professional to help you. Here at Servmold of Dallas, we can provide you with the fast response you need to get rid of any mold in your home or in your workplace.
Why is it important to get a cleanup if you get floodwater in your home!
It is a common occurrence when there are storms, very high rainfall and natural disasters, flooded water gets inside your home or your workplace and causes damage. You might think that you can clean up after the water recedes. It is generally not a good idea to do so, as there is a chance that there might be damage to your place and there might be electrical damage as well. Once the waters have receded and you get a fair idea of what all damages have been done, make sure to contact Servmold of Dallas to get the cleanup work. We at Servmold of Dallas are experts in flood damage repairs. We understand the importance of proper cleaning after the floodwater has caused damage. Once our crew is informed we will get the work done as soon as possible which will help you in saving your personal property and all your belongings as well.